As an IYT Worldwide partner school your candidates will benefit from access to the best yacht training program in the world, with courses designed to meet the training needs from entry-level novice to fully qualified professional yacht captains. You will also benefit from being part of an increasingly recognized global brand with a direct link from the IYT website to your school website.
The management of IYT have developed relationships over the years with all of its schools, their principals, members of the professional yachting industry as well as government officials, and are dedicated to bringing the pleasure and safety of yachting to the global public.
While our courses are developed in the English language we encourage schools to instruct in their native language so the candidate gets the utmost from his or her training experience. We invite you to apply to join our network of global partner schools and become a member of the IYT family.
Reasons for and Benefits of Joining
- IYT is a Worldwide recognized brand.
- New schools from all over the world join every week.
- IYT currently has over 300 schools in 58 countries have adopted the IYT curriculum.
- Our commitment to standards of excellence, hands-on practical training and quality instruction have made IYT Worldwide the world's number one choice for nautical training.
- No other nautical company in the world is as internationally recognized as IYT Worldwide.
- No other nautical company has 50-plus international government approved or recognized courses.
- No other organization offers such a diverse range of nautical training.
- IYT has a proven track record of 20 years in business.
- IYT has achieved the highest level of internationally recognized and sanctioned best practices (ISO 9001:2015) certification, internationally recognized Quality Management System.
- Companies that join IYT substantially increase their revenues and customer base.
- IYT has developed an international modular format of standardized training.
- Initial and subsequent modules can be completed with any one of our partner schools anywhere in the world.
- Students can, for example, begin training in Croatia and complete training in Australia.
- All schools teach to the same syllabus with the same course materials and standards.
- As a recreational IYT school you may offer your candidates an International Certificate of Competency (ICC) through IYT Worldwide and the Maritime and Coastguard Agency of Great Britain (MCA). The ICC is required to operate pleasure craft in most European waters.
- The company offers an entire range of recreational courses from entry-level sailing and powerboat courses up to Yachtmaster Ocean celestial navigation.
- IYT courses are available in multiple languages so your candidates may train and study using their native language.
- IYT offers professional government approved yachting courses such as MCA Approved Master of Yachts.
- Our professional yachting courses are recognized by 24 different
governments worldwide for commercial use including the British Maritime
and Coastguard Agency (MCA). Our commitment to standards of excellence,
hands-on practical training, and quality instruction have made IYT the
world’s number one choice for nautical training
IYT has two levels of membership: Recreational School Membership and Professional School Membership.
Recreational partner schools may offer courses ranging from Personal Watercraft Operations and Dinghy Sailing to Yachtmaster Ocean celestial navigation. Instructors will be appropriately qualified for each course a school is approved to offer.
If you are thinking of joining, we welcome an application for your school and instructors.
Recreational schools may qualify to offer the following courses. Please find course details in the courses section of the site.
Dinghy Sailing - Bronze Level – Start Sailing
Dinghy Sailing – Gold Level - Independent Sailing
Dinghy Sailing – Platinum Level – Perfected Sailing
Introduction to Yachting
International Crew Power or Sail
International Bareboat Skipper Power or Sail
Marine Communications - VHF/SRC Operations
Personal Watercraft Operator (PWC)
Small Powerboat & RIB Master (MCA Approved)
International Certificate of Competency <10m Power Coastal
International Certificate of Competency <10m Power Coastal & Inland
International Certificate of Competency <24m Power Coastal
International Certificate of Competency <24m Power Coastal & Inland
International Certificate of Competency <24m Sail & <10m Power Coastal
International Certificate of Competency <24m Sail & <10m Power Coastal & Inland
International Certificate of Competency PWC Coastal
International Certificate of Competency PWC Coastal & Inland
Yachtmaster Coastal Power or Sail
Yachtmaster Offshore Power or Sail
For Approval to Train on a Sailboat
- The school must own or have access to charter a sailing vessel with auxiliary engine.
- The sailing vessel must have capacity for overnight stay including beds for at least five to six crew and an instructor, a galley and heads.
- The vessel's minimum length should be approximately 10 metres/30 feet.
- Instructors must be trained and show experience and/or qualifications on a sailboat of corresponding size and type.
For Approval to Train on a Powerboat
- The school must own or have access to charter a power vessel.
- The power vessel should be a cruising vessel with capacity for overnight stay including beds for beds for at least five to six crew and an instructor, a galley and heads.
- The vessel's minimum length should be approximately 10 metres/30 feet and have twin inboard engines. (A single inboard may be accepted, but a vessel with outboard engines is not acceptable).
- Instructors must be trained and show experience and/or qualifications on a powerboat of corresponding size and type.
To certify students for both power and sail qualifications they must undertake the practical examination on a sailboat AND a powerboat, and have some practical experience on both sail and power vessels. This prerequisite sea time requirements must meet the sea time requirements for that certificate level.
For Approval to Teach the Small Powerboat & RIB Master Course
What Does It Cost to be an IYT School?
- School Membership & Audit Fees.
- Instructor Registration.
- Course Costs & Certificates.
- Shipping & Handling.
Membership & Audit Fees
Please see this document for school membership fees "School Membership Fees".
Those schools applying for professional status must be inspected prior to gaining approval to join IYT. The cost of the inspection must be paid prior to the initial visit. We try and keep these costs to a minimum.
These expenses will vary based on the school’s location as price of airfare and accommodations and daily expenses will vary. The daily rate of the inspector will also vary. It would be wise to calculate $4,000 to $6,000 per visit, however, this is not an official quote and is only given as a guideline to schools to aid in making a decision to pursue. Becoming an IYT professional partner school is an expensive process and we want schools to be aware of this before spending a vast amount of effort on something they may not be prepared to undertake.
Instructor Registration/Membership & Cost
All schools must have at least one registered instructor. Only registered instructors can deliver IYT courses. They may also order IYT certificates for the students they have trained successfully.
Instructors pay for their initial certificates which are valid for five years from date of issue. Thereafter, to remain in good standing instructors would have to undertake any required further professional development training and pay an annual membership subscription.
Course Costs & Certificates
The cost of all courses are determined by the school, not IYT. Schools set their own prices and schedules based on their geographic and economic situation.
All IYT certificates are photo based, credit card style and come with enhanced security features such as holograms and QR codes, with the exception of some dinghy certificates.
Certificates are to be ordered and paid for online.
Shipping & Handling
- Certificates will be processed and shipped only after payment has been received.
- We reserve four weeks for processing. This does not include delivery time.
- Airmail may take up to four weeks to reach final destination, if at all. It is not traceable so there is no tracking number.
- If airmail is the chosen method of shipment and the package is lost, you will be billed for the full cost of the replacement plus shipping. (Airmail is free of charge).
- Courier takes three to five business days depending on location and you will receive the tracking number when your order ships. (May range from $30 to $90 based on location - we cannot quote exact prices here).