As an IYT partner school you will benefit from access to the best yacht training program in the world, with courses designed to meet the training needs from entry-level novices to fully qualified professional yacht captains.
You will also benefit from being part of an increasingly recognized global brand with a direct link from IYTworld.com to your school website.
All IYT schools are evaluated and approved for membership based on specific criteria. If approved, membership is valid for 12 months and will be automatically renewed providing the school remains in good standing. To remain in good standing, schools must:
- Comply with all terms and conditions of their membership agreement and the contents of the membership manual as amended from time to time.
- Fulfill their responsibilities regarding the presentation of student paperwork and maintenance of student records.
- Pay annual membership dues and not be in arrears with other monies owed.
- Not engage in any activity that is deemed by IYT Worldwide to be detrimental to IYT Worldwide or other partner schools.
Professional partner schools may offer courses ranging from Personal Watercraft Operations and Dinghy Sailing to the MCA Approved Master of Yachts Unlimited celestial navigation course. Instructors will be appropriately qualified for each course a school is approved to offer.
Professional schools may qualify to offer the following recreational and professional courses. Find course details under the courses section of the site.
Marine Communications - VHF/SRC Operations - also available to recreational schools
Small Powerboat & RIB Master (MCA Approved) - also available to recreational schools
Professional Superyacht Hospitality
Master of Yachts Coastal/Mate 200 Tons
Master of Yachts Limited 200gt
Master of Yachts Unlimited 200gt
Master of Yachts Inshore < 80gt
Dinghy Sailing - Bronze Level – Start Sailing
Dinghy Sailing – Gold Level - Independent Sailing
Dinghy Sailing – Platinum Level – Perfected Sailing
Introduction to Yachting
International Crew Power or Sail
International Bareboat Skipper Power or Sail
Marine Communications - VHF/SRC Operations
Personal Watercraft Operator (PWC)
Small Powerboat & RIB Master (MCA Approved)
International Certificate of Competency <10m Power Coastal
International Certificate of Competency <10m Power Coastal & Inland
International Certificate of Competency <24m Power Coastal
International Certificate of Competency <24m Power Coastal & Inland
International Certificate of Competency <24m Sail & <10m Power Coastal
International Certificate of Competency <24m Sail & <10m Power Coastal & Inland
International Certificate of Competency PWC Coastal
International Certificate of Competency PWC Coastal & Inland
Yachtmaster Coastal Power or Sail
Yachtmaster Offshore Power or Sail
Please see Requirements To Become A Professional Instructor for more information.
For Approval to Train on a Sailboat
- The school must own or have access to charter a sailing vessel with auxiliary engine.
- The sailing vessel must have capacity for overnight stay including beds for at least 5-6 crew and an instructor, a galley and heads.
- The vessel's minimum length should be approximately 10 metres/30 feet.
- Instructors must be trained and show experience and/or qualifications on a sailboat of corresponding size and type.
For Approval to Train on a Powerboat
- The school must own or have access to charter a power vessel.
- The power vessel should be a cruising vessel with capacity for overnight stay including beds for beds for at least 5-6 crew and an instructor, a galley and heads.
- The vessel's minimum length should be approximately 10 metres/30 feet and have twin inboard engines. (A single inboard may be accepted, but a vessel with outboard engines is not acceptable).
- Instructors must be trained and show experience and/or qualifications on a powerboat of corresponding size and type.
To certify students for both power and sail qualifications they must undertake the practical examination on a sailboat AND a powerboat and have some practical experience on both sail and power vessels. This prerequisite sea time requirements must meet the sea time requirements for that certificate level.
For Approval to Teach the Small Powerboat & RIB Master Course
What Does It Cost to be an IYT School?
- School Membership & Audit Fees.
- Instructor Registration.
- Course Costs & Certificates.
- Shipping & Handling.
Membership & Audit Fees
Please see this document for school membership fees School Membership Fees.
Those schools applying for Professional status must be inspected prior to gaining approval to join IYT. The first course must be audited by an IYT representative. These 2 events, initial inspection and audit of first course, will be performed in conjunction to reduce the cost to school. The cost of the inspection must be paid prior to the initial visit. We try and keep these costs to a minimum.
These expenses will vary based on school’s location as price of airfare and accommodations and daily expenses will vary. The daily rate of the inspector will also vary. It would be wise to calculate $4,000 to $6,000 per visit, however, this is not an official quote and is only given as a guideline to schools to aid in making a decision to pursue. Becoming an IYT professional partner school is an expensive process and we want schools to be aware of this before spending a vast amount of effort on something they may not be prepared to undertake.
All schools need to have at least one registered instructor. Only registered instructors can deliver IYT courses. They may also order IYT certificates for the students they have trained successfully.
Instructors pay for their initial certificates which are valid for five years from date of issue. Thereafter, to remain in good standing instructors would have to undertake any required further professional development training and pay an annual membership subscription.
Course Costs & Certificates
The cost of all courses are determined by the school, not IYT. Schools set their own prices and schedules based on their geographic and economic situation.
All IYT certificates are photo based, credit card style and come with enhanced security features such as holograms and QR codes, with the exception of some dinghy certificates.
Certificates are be ordered and paid for online.
Shipping & Handling
- Certificates will be processed and shipped only after payment has been received.
- We reserve four weeks for processing. This does not include delivery time.
- Airmail may take up to four weeks to reach final destination. It is not traceable so there is no tracking number.
- Courier takes three to five business days depending on location and you will receive the tracking number when your order ships. (May range from $30 to $90 based on location - we cannot quote exact prices here).